By Uwe Meixner
Read or Download Axiomatic Formal Ontology (Synthese Library) PDF
Best philosophical logic & language books
Within the overdue Nineties, AI witnessed an expanding use of the time period 'argumentation' inside of its bounds: in traditional language processing, in consumer interface layout, in good judgment programming and nonmonotonic reasoning, in Al's interface with the felony group, and within the newly rising box of multi-agent structures.
This specific anthology of recent, contributed essays bargains a variety of views on a variety of features of ontic vagueness. It seeks to reply to center questions concerning onticism, the view that vagueness exists on the planet itself. The inquiries to be addressed comprise no matter if imprecise items should have imprecise identification, and no matter if ontic vagueness has a particular good judgment, one who isn't really shared by way of semantic or epistemic vagueness.
First released in 1971, Professor Putnam's essay issues itself with the ontological challenge within the philosophy of common sense and arithmetic - that's, the difficulty of no matter if the summary entities spoken of in good judgment and arithmetic particularly exist. He additionally offers with the query of even if connection with those summary entities is basically indispensible in good judgment and if it is necessary in actual technology typically.
Person gadgets have potentials: paper has the capability to burn, an acorn has the aptitude to show right into a tree, a few humans have the capability to run a mile in below 4 mins. Barbara Vetter offers a scientific research into the metaphysics of such potentials, and an account of metaphysical modality in keeping with them.
- From Arithmetic to Metaphysics: A Path through Philosophical Logic (Philosophische Analyse / Philosophical Analysis)
- Meaning and Argument: An Introduction to Logic Through Language
- Antoine Arnauld and Pierre Nicole: Logic or the Art of Thinking (Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy)
- The Arché Papers on the Mathematics of Abstraction: 71 (The Western Ontario Series in Philosophy of Science)
- Weighing and Reasoning: Themes from the Philosophy of John Broome
Additional resources for Axiomatic Formal Ontology (Synthese Library)
Axiomatic Formal Ontology (Synthese Library) by Uwe Meixner